What to Do After a Fire Damage?
Fire Damage Restoration is a very sensitive job that is best left to professionals. After an accident happens it’s very important to have a Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration plan to be able to overcome any issues.
When smoked and fire arises the most complicated and matters is the by-products of such scenes that are usually classified as bio -hazardous materials, and they require special handling that ordinary people are usually not knowledgeable in.
But what to do and not to do after a Fire?
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Fire damage can be devastating for you and your family. Feelings of confusion and stress are common, and you need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We always treat your family with the greatest empathy and respect, and we’ll treat your property with great care.
Every fire damage event is a little different, and requires a unique solution. At SERVPRO of Martin County we clean and restore your property using specialized equipment and cleaning techniques. Our “restore first” mentality reduces interruption and gets you back to your life.
Have Questions About Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call SERVPRO of Martin County Today – (772) 334-8762