How do I know if my air ducts need to be cleaned
The comfort of a home is significantly affected by indoor air quality. The presence of particles of dust, mold spores, pollen, and insect droppings can cause reactions, even to the healthiest people. Regular air duct cleaning is one way to improve the overall air quality in your home. If you are not sure if your ducts need cleaning, here are some common signs to look out for.
- Dirty air ducts smell. With mildew and mold building up in the air ducts, a musty smell begins flowing through your house. Regular air duct cleaning will keep that mildew cleaned out and odor free.
- Rising Energy Costs. Your heating and cooling costs should be relatively predictable from year to year. If you receive a bill that is noticeably high, especially compared to the same time a year ago, dirty ductwork might be to blame.
- Your home becomes dusty very quickly. Nobody likes any cleaning activities. This becomes even serious if you continuously find dust and dirt in your home even after cleaning. This indicates that a significant amount of dust is being directed to the surfaces, most likely from the HVAC system.
- Dirty air ducts are inhabited by insects and rodents. Without air duct cleaning, insects and rodents begin nesting, creating a nuisance and with the diseases they carry, they become a serious health threat.
- Is your home dusty, no matter how often you clean? While dusting isn’t a fun task, it’s something we all have to do from time to time. If you notice that every flat surface in your home is coated with dust almost immediately after you’ve put away your cleaning supplies, you probably need to have your ducts cleaned!
- Unstable or poor airflow in the house. The easiest way to know that your air ducts should be cleaned is inconsistent airflow in your bedroom, bathroom, living room, and even kitchen. Indoor airflow should be of the same quality, since vents deliver consistent airflow. If this isn't the case, have a technician ensure that all vents have clean ductwork.
Professional air duct cleaning contractors use specialized blowers, brushes, and vacuums to clean out the intake, return ducts, and intake throughout your home. A thorough air duct cleaning involves a cleaning of the air handler, coils, fans, grilles, housing, motors, and fans through the entire HVAC system.
The certified technicians at SERVPRO® are available to help homeowners tackle specialty cleaning projects around the house.