Mold Facts and its Remediation process
Did you know… Contrary to popular belief, not all mold is dangerous; some mold is even quite useful.
Fungi and mold naturally occur in our environment. More than 100,000 different types of fungi have been identified. You can find fungi in our everyday lives in bread and baked products; the unique flavor of blue cheese is the result of mold. Though some types of mold can be useful, many other forms can be harmful. Excessive amounts of mold and mold exposure may present health concerns for some people.
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
• Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors, and outdoors.
• Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
• Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
• Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
• Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
• Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
SERVPRO® can handle water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. Mold is more likely to spread when an environment has been subject to moisture for an extended period of time. If your property has sustained a recent water damage, it is vital to remove excess water and dry the structure promptly. Once the environment is dry, it is important the structure is properly cleaned.
Every mold infestation is different, from the amount of mold to the types of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our process for a “typical” mold remediation infestation:
1. Emergency Contact - (772) 334-8762
2. Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
3. Mold Containment
4. Air Filtration
5. Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
6. Cleaning Contents and Belongings
When determining if you have a mold problem, call SERVPRO®. A technician trained in mold remediation will examine the structure and determine the steps needed to contain and clean the affected areas. Signs of Mold? Call us Today – (772) 334-8762