Water Damage Do´s and Don’ts
Did you know…?
Almost 70% of property damage involves water – through flooding, broken pipes, sewer backups or after a fire. Water can cause extensive damage and pose a serious threat to building structures, interior furnishings, important documents and prized belongings.
Another danger is that mold can begin growing within 24–48 hours. Mold growth and related bacteria and allergens can result in serious long-term, health issues.
What you can do until help arrives
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
When your home has water damage from flooding or leaks, you need the company that can respond immediately and has the expertise and equipment to properly restore your property. SERVPRO uses advanced water damage inspection and extraction equipment to help them find the moisture and to remove it as quickly as possible. Our highly trained technicians will monitor and document the drying process so that you know your property is back to normal.
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO is close by and ready to respond to your flood or water damage emergency. We are proud to be an active member of your community and want to do our part to make our community the best it can be.
Every water disaster is different, from the amount of water to the level of contamination of the water. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same.
What to Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
We invest in the latest technology and equipment because it helps us restore your home more quickly and to minimize cost. This equipment allows us to detect hidden moisture and extract standing water quickly and efficiently. We also utilize professional-strength cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing products to cleaning and sanitize the affected water damage area for your comfort and safety.
You know SERVPRO of Martin County as a leader in Water Damage, but our expertise can also make a dirty carpet "Like it never even happened."
Have Water or Flood Damage? Call Us Today – (772) 334-8762